Showing posts with label thyroid. Show all posts
Showing posts with label thyroid. Show all posts

Friday, January 07, 2011

The results are back...

I lose my patience when it comes to waiting on word of "big" things.  I waited until Wednesday, then gave up and called my doctor's office to find out the results of my biopsy.  I found out that he had the report but hadn't read it.  I left a message for him to call me back.  That was Wednesday.  Thursday morning, they called me back and told me that the results were back and the nodule and cyst on my thyroid are benign.  I get to go back in six months for another ultrasound to monitor the thyroid and see if the nodules have changed at all.  
So, no surgery for the thyroid.  YAY!!  That's a good thing.
I also have what they call a "branchial cleft cyst", which is a birth defect that appears in "young adulthood" (I'm a 'young adult'!  LOL!!).  It's a remnant from development that is basically just a bunch of cells that didn't divide/multiply/create anything else.  It's left over from developing the various parts of the neck.  If you're interested, you can read about it here: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/382803-overview
 
I asked the doctor's assistant if we had any ideas about when he was going to do something about the cyst.  She said "I don't know."  I asked if that was still going to be removed or if he's going to monitor that.  She said again, "I really don't know."  I asked her to find out, she said she would and would call me back.  That was yesterday.  I can't understand how she wouldn't have any information about that other surgery, but she doesn't.  I may have to call the doctor again and leave a message for him.  
I am not keen on the idea of being cut into, especially in the neck, but after my MRI, he said that the cause of the swelling in my face was caused by this cyst. He said that he was going to remove it since it is apparently 4cm.   I'd really like to know if he's still planning on removing it.  I'm not sure I'm going to get information from his assistant, so I may just write a letter to him and ask him IF he's planning on removing it and if so, when.  I'd really like to have the ability to plan a vacation to Hawaii or wherever I can travel. I don't have the ability to plan at present.  I have to wait until we know if I'm going to have surgery.  

Waiting isn't my strong suit.  I'm not patient enough (just ask my kids!) to wait...and wait...and wait.